What is Domain Authority?
To predict how good a website will rank in the SERPs, Moz developed a search engine ranking score is called the Domain Authority, in a short DA. It’s a ranking system starts from 0 to 100 based on the Website’s age, its popularity, and the size. Here size means linking root domains & total links to your website. The better the result, the better the ability to rank higher on the SERPs. There are four layers of Domain authority. They are,
- Website’s prestige.
- Information’s quality.
- The depth of its information.
Website’s prestige is the simple concept where scale measures the other websites linked to this very website. Then the quality or prestige of those websites are also measured & a prestige rank has been fixed for this very website.
The next important factor is the quality of the information or the contents. How scale measures the information quality? It measures the quality by finding the content’s link with other contents. Content is so important to increase Domain Authority.
The depth of its information:
The whole website & all its links are measured here. Page by page the scale finds its depth and measures its information depth. All external links are measured considering the quality & quantity.
Competition is also a major factor to increase Domain Authority (DA). When competition is high, after doing everything a particular website needs to outperform others by every scale.
How it calculates?
- Root domain backlinks: Backlinks are the relationships between websites on the internet. Root Domain Authority show links to your root domain. The easy point is, quality is preferable over quantity. Very few backlinks from a quality website are far better than lots of backlinks from a less important site. How will you find a quality website? Simply use the same way you find your score.
- MozRank: MozRank is the link profile of a website. How much rank your site has, what is the link quality etc.
- MozTrust: MozTrust finds how connected your website with quality websites. It measures the linking site’s ranking. You will also get the benefit of linking your website to quality sites.
- Quality content: Quality content is always the key to success. If you provide quality content on your website, you will get links. Quality contents are must increase Domain Authority.
- Social Network: Social Sites also plays an important role to calculate the score. The popular your site at the social sites, the better score you will get at Domain Authority.
- Age of your Domain: Typically the older your domain, the better trusted you are, so if your website is old, it calculates your website as good. If it’s new, then you have work to increase Domain Authority.
To calculate your Domain Authority (DA) score, simply click here.
Is your Domain Authority (DA) score well?
At a nutshell, the basic is, if your website has a healthy number of quality external links then you will get a higher score at Domain Authority. External links can be divided as inbound or backlinks (links that direct viewers to your domain) & outbound links (links that takes your viewers to elsewhere). Here comes to popularity & age factor. If your website is old & popular, then you must have a good number of external links. But if it’s brand new then the number should be lower or very few. That doesn’t mean your website is bad. Don’t lose your heart & start working to increase domain authority now.
So the Domain Authority score is a comparative rating, not a score where you will be able to define a good or bad website. The scale measures the link profile compared with other sites across the web as well as tons of other factors from the Google Search Algorithm. Every new website starts with the score 0. Thus the scope to increase domain authority is always open.
If you think after learning the external links, you have learned everything and now you will go & work to increase Domain Authority then you need to learn more. As you know Google Search Algorithm works on a variety of scale to measure, a website’s important to a query, so the Domain Authority does not work on some simple scale as well as you need to focus on different factors to increase Domain Authority.
From the surface, Domain Authority is a scale that counts external links. But deep down in the scale, 40 total factors works to show a result. It’s a machine learning system that continuously evolves and finds the best suitable algorithm that works closely with Mozscape data to show the ranking based on hundreds of thousands of actual SERP. You need to work on several scales to increase Domain Authority.
But there are some easy scales among them. Mozrank shows the popularity of your external links; link counts shows the quantity. But while you get the result of Domain Authority, these are not the only scales. Your website’s rank in the SERP does not just depend on the citation but a lot of machine learning factors. Thus the result can be changed dramatically because different data is used here to measure the result. For example, when a new web index has released, the ranking system also changes. The scale is a logarithmic scale means climbing from 20 to 30 is far easier than climbing from 80 to 90.
In a simple word, it’s a scale where you will get a measurement of your SEO process on your website or the possible position of your website in SERP.
What is Page Authority (PA):
Page Authority (PA) is a similar scale, but it only measures for a specific page. Like Domain Authority, Page Authority (PA) score system is also developed by Moz. The score starts from 0 to 100 and the better the result better the chance to get a good place at SERP. The provided result is based on a lot of factors including external links, MozRank and Moztrust. It also uses the machine learning system to identify the core algorithm of Search Engine from hundreds of thousands of SERPs. Then it predicts a score for a specific page.
How it calculates?
It is a scoring system from 0 to 100. The calculation system is almost same like the Domain Authority (DA). The score calculates several key factors of your page. There are 40 scales. The prominent scales are external links (inbound & outbound links), Mozrank and MozTrust. MozRank is the ranking of pages linked to your website & MozTrust is the importance of pages that linked to your page. Both scale measures from 1 to 10. After all these 40 scales, Page Authority (PA) then shows a comparative score of your page & you can get the idea of your page’s position in SERP. Click here to learn about your Page Authority (PA).
Is your Page Authority (PA) score well?
Just like the domain authority, Page Authority (PA) is also a comparative score. Nowadays there are millions of website on the internet & most of them have external links. Since the link quality & the page that hold the link also makes an important role to measure the Page Authority (PA), so you will be able to find thousands of relatively nonpopular pages linked with other pages. Thus it creates an impact on the Page Authority (PA) of a specific page. You will be amazed to know that the famous, as well as a popular website like Facebook, has 97.10 scores. So even you have bad score doesn’t mean you lost the scope to work on it.
Page Authority (PA) works in a similar way like the Domain Authority (DA), but the difference is it operates on the web page level. The measurement scale starts from 0 to 100. Scale collects its data from 40 factors including link counts, MozRank and MozTrust.
From hundreds of thousands of actual searches, Page Authority (PA) gathers the core algorithm of ranking using a machine learning system. Its basic algorithms are similar to the Google’s PageRank system.
Steps to improve Page Authority (PA)
There are several steps can be taken to improve the Page Authority (PA) score. Let’s discuss some important steps to improve the PA.
- Create fresh & relevant content: The first & most important thing you need to improve for better Page Authority (PA) is to create fresh & relevant content. Quality contents always bring and keeps the visitor on the page & also gets external links. There is no effective shortcut of this. Your content should be interesting & also don’t forget to update them regularly. The language is also essential and needs to be easily readable.
- External links: The most common question you will face while working on the Page Authority is “how to earn external links”? It’s simple, first produce quality content & then keep promoting it on social sites. The more exposure you will get more the chance you are going to get the attention of high-quality sites. The magic is done! Now you will get links to your site from them easily for your quality content.
- Use quality image or infographic: Use quality picture & infographics to make your content more attractive and understandable. The picture is also easy to share & gets the exposure. There is another secret, all pictures have an Alt text, and it improves the SEO of your web page.
Domain Authority Vs. Page Authority:
The only main thing that differs a Domain Authority (DA) from a Page Authority (PA) is that Domain Authority measures a website’s predictive ranking point & Page Authority measures a webpage’s predictive ranking point. Apart from this, most of the scale & factors are same.
How to increase Domain Authority(DA):
- Appropriate Domain name: If you already have taken a domain name, then it’s too late. But if you are thinking about creating a new domain then always take the appropriate & relevant name for your domain which should be easy & small to remember & also catchy. It helps a lot to increase Domain Authority.
- Guest Blogging: Guest blogging is always a good choice to improve your DA or PA. But the most important thing is to find quality sites for the blogging. The blog will have links to your site/page, and thus you will get quality links. Guest blogging at fewer quality sites will contribute to increasing Domain Authority.
- Commenting on quality blogs: Another technique is to left comment on different quality blogs & websites with a backlink to your site/page. It’s ok to work on this track but doesn’t spam on other sites to increase Domain Authority.
- Follow SEO Guidelines Properly: Following all the necessary SEO guidelines will always let you earn some extra score to increase Domain Authority. DA & PA scales are made by Google Search Engine. So SEO plays a critical role here.
- Quality Content: Quality content is always the main source of visitors as well as links to your website. If you provide quality articles, the visitor will provide your content’s links as a reference. You can also start marketing your contents to get those links & increase Domain Authority.
- Interlinking Your Content: Another important trick is to interlink your contents. Links your new content with old one to keep your visitor on your blog or website or your page. In this way, you will earn more trust the visitors & you will earn the reward as the bounce rate will decrease significantly and it will help you to increase Domain Authority.
- Remove bad links: After checking your link profile, you should remove bad links from other sources as well as from your website. How will you find it is a bad link? Just check your link profile here & work to increase Domain Authority.
- Mobile friendly: Another secret is your website should be mobile friendly to Increase Domain Authority. Most of the visitors on the internet are from mobile platform & your site should have a mobile-friendly platform. Also, Google’s latest updates put a lot of focus on mobile platform optimized websites.
- Website optimization: After bringing visitors to your website, the next step is let them enjoy your website. As you already focused on contents, your website loading speed will make a significant impact on the visitors. Slow website means greater bounce rate. Less bounce rate=higher score is a great contribution to increase Domain Authority.
- Social signals: As you already know that DA & PA also counts your popularity at social sites so keep your social pages active. Share quality contents & also keep backlinks to your site. Your active presence will let your DA & PA dramatically.
Avoid Top 10 domain authority Mistakes:
- Thinking you awesome website will rank up without any optimization: Every website needs optimization. You can think that your site can get a good rank without proper optimization, but this happens only a few times. After decorating a website with amazing contents, your priority should be to optimize the website using SEO guidelines to increase Domain Authority.
- Your website will get links without link building: Link building is one of the most important phases to increase Domain Authority. It refers to the process of getting external sites to link to your website. If you think that you will get links easily & without any formal link building, then you need to redesign your strategy.
- Guest posting without evaluating the website: Guest posting is a great way to create backlinks to your website. But you need to focus guest blogging on quality blogs or websites. If you left your backlinks in a less popular website or an irrelevant website, then you won’t get any benefit from it. It will now increase Domain Authority of your site.
- Not promoting your contents: As you already know link building is essential for your DA rank, then you should start promoting your contents. If you have thought it has no importance, then you are making mistakes. You have to promote your content to get the exposure as well as the external links.
- Spammy links: It is true that most of the website owners nowadays avoid spammy links. But if you buy links from a 3rd party then most probably you are going to get spammy links in low ranked or irrelevant websites. It will only decrease your DA score & will not help you to increase Domain AUthority (DA).
- Pointless & irrelevant content: If you are providing irrelevant and pointless content to your website then most likely your website bounce rate will increase. This type of contents never gets external links nor the attention from the other sites. As a result, your hard work will go in vain.
- Ignoring internal links: In a website, internal contents are very very important to keep your visitors on your website. You should link your new content with old contents to let your visitors keep roaming in your website. It will reduce your website’s bounce rate dramatically.
- Social Media above the link building: Link building should be more focused than social sites. It is true that social media plays a major role in your DA score, but the importance of link building to increase Domain Authority is more than that.
- Ineffective keyword research: Keyword research is a very very important step towards making your website attractive. It will show you which topic & subtopic should be integrated to your contents. You can use keyword research as a listening tool of your potential visitors.
- Broken links: As you have already focused on link building, you should also keep an eye on the broken links because it will not help to increase Domain of your website. I can tell you another secret. You can check all the broken links of your competitors and offer those sites your links instead.
Domain Authority is considered as the vital score to identify your website’s possibility at the ranking of SERP. The algorithm is machine based, so there is no human intervention & the data is almost solid because the measurements come directly from thousands of SERPs. To increase Domain Authority, you have to work & think out of the box. As you already know that new website starts from the score 0 so the scope of work is always there. And the logarithmic nature of this scale makes it hard to increase Domain Authority at the higher point. Always remember that the scope to Increase Domain Authority never ends.